New Vicar for St Laurence - December 2021
We are highly delighted to welcome Rev Gail Rogers to Alvechurch. Gail’s previous appointment as Assistant Curate at St Francis of Assissi, Bournville has just finished and she was officially licensed and inducted as Priest in Charge of Alvechurch and Vicar of Beoley by Bishop John Inge at St Laurence Church on 8th December.
Prior to ordination, Gail worked as a nurse supporting people living with dementia. She is married to Karl and they have three sons: Matthew (25), Oliver (17) and Jacob (12), We look forward to Gail and her family becoming part of our extended family and wish them well in their time with us. You will no doubt see them around the village shortly, so please be sure to say “Hello”.
The award winning venue located in the historic village of Alvechurch.
The ideal venue for your Wedding, Birthday Parties, Baptism Parties, Funeral Wakes, Anniversary Celebrations, Meetings and much more.....
St Laurence Church
The church of St Laurence dates back to 1239. It is situated on high ground, and was probably the site of an earlier Mercian church, although nothing remains of the earlier wooden building. Much of the church was rebuilt between 1858 and 1861 by William Butterfield. There is a 1,348-pipe organ. The tower has a peal of eight bells, rung regularly by the North Worcestershire Ringing Association.
The bells of St Laurence church in Alvechurch, Worcestershire, date from 1711 and have been ringing across the village to mark weddings, funerals and special events for nearly 300 years. There are eight bells ranging in weight from
4 to 12 hundredweight (200 to 600 kg) and the ringers ring them in the traditional English style of Change Ringing.
The purpose of our parish church is to bring people into a living and deepening relationship with God by:
providing meaningful acts of worship
ministering to the needs of those within the Community
sharing in the world-wide mission of the Church
providing learning opportunities so as to deepen the faith